Friday, November 2, 2012

A Good Cry


I’m a big softy.  I can cry at the drop of a hat, so to speak, especially if there is music involved. Music already plays such a big part in my life.  It stirs my soul, and when paired with images that tug in my heart or my own personal connectivity, I can bawl as good as any baby.

Years ago, when my children were little, I used to get-together with some women whose husbands (along with my own) would all be out of town at this same time.  We would plan “Tear-Jerker Movie Night,” and sit and watch movies that made us cry. It felt good, and there was no one there to roll their eyes at our every shed tear.  We loved it!  Nowadays, when I’m watching a movie I already know makes me cry, I just tell my husband in advance, and if he comes through the room, I just motion him on through.  “Nothing to see here – move along,” I say through my gasps.  If it’s a ‘new cry,’ I just say, “Pass the tissue!”

I began thinking about movies that stir me.  The list, however, almost became endless.  Some movies have a scene, some just a moment; with others the entire picture has me reaching for tissue, in many cases, it is the inspirational or 'final' ending...  And there are patterns, so I’ve decided to group them without too much explanation. If you’re not sure what’s so ‘weepy’ about any of these, watch them again, and see if you can find ‘those moments.’  I guarantee they’re there.

With that, here’s just a few movies that make me cry:
Gallipoli
Schindler’s List
Saving Private Ryan
The Adventures of Milo & Otis
Finding Nemo
The Three Lives of Thomasina
Prince Caspian & the Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Ghost
The Natural
Forever Young
Breakfast at Tiffany’s
St. Ralph
Mona Lisa Smile
Little Women (1994)
Mr. Holland’s Opus
When Did You Last See Your Father?
Splash
13 Going on 30
The Good-bye Girl
Big


The "father" of all my tearjerkers!
...And these movies have me crying from the very start!:
The Color Purple 
Dad 
Hachi: A Dog’s Tale 
Toy Story 3 
Table for Five

No comments:

Post a Comment