Thursday, October 25, 2012

To Be a Good Sport


Well, I was hoping the World Series would be over by now, but the “boys of October” should now be called the “boys of November.”  Regardless, I will go ahead and post my favorites sports movies as my blog for the week.  The fact that six of these films are baseball films is not an indication that baseball is my favorite sport - they just happen to be movies I enjoy. I hope you will, too.

#11 - Mr. Baseball (1992)
Tom Selleck…HELLO?!?!?








#10 - The Bad News Bears (1976)
It’s just darn funny!








# 9 - Angels in the Outfield (1994)
I grew up in Orange County and the California Angels were my home team.  We spent many Sunday afternoons out at Anaheim Stadium. So, when a movie came out with the “Angels” as the stars, I couldn’t resist.  Plus, seeing a very young Joseph-Gordon Levitt before his rise to stardom was loads of fun! There is another Angels in the Outfield (1951) starring Janet Leigh and Keenan Wynn, and it is the origin of the plot of my #9 pick.


#  - 8 Rollerball (1975)
This is a great sci-fi picture regardless of sport!  Starring James Caan and John Houseman, this movie also makes my May 24 blog of “Classic Pairings,” as the “Sci-Fi” selection. 






# 7 – Ice Castles (1978)
Starring a young Robbie Benson and Lynn-Holly Johnson and its popular theme music by the late Marvin Hamlisch and Carole Bayer Sager, this movie tells the story of the quick rise to fame of a Midwestern ice skater and what happens when that fame presents too much pressure.  Ah, true young love conquers all…




# 6 – Moneyball (2011)
Brad Pitt, yes! And although it features the Oakland Athletics (the California Angels’ rivals), it brought to the forefront the fascinating world of building a team through trades and quick deals.  Not only eye candy, but eye opening, as well.





# 5 – Oxford Blues (1984)
For your consideration, another pretty face – Rob Lowe in the role of a Nevada rogue rower, who for the sake of meeting a young lady of royal blood, finagles his way into Oxford University.  He must confront his own demons of being a team player in order to win the heart of the lady, played by Amanda Pays (who is married to Corbin Bernsen (L.A. Law fame, and who is the son of actress Jeanne Cooper (star of Young & the Restless – see blog of October 18).  This movie also stars the [whiney] Ally Sheedy.

# 4 – Major League (1989)
I LOVE this movie – yes, it’s ‘naughty,’ but what a goofy bunch of ball players. It’s almost a Bad News Bears of adults! It stars Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, and Corbin Bernsen (see #5) "Wild Thing, I think I love you!"





# 3 – Happy Gilmore (1996)
I am not an Adam Sandler fan by any means, but this movie is so darn cute and sweet!  With many moments of hilarity and a bit of romance, Adam Sandler makes us believe he is the hockey player gone wrong and wants to make good.  And, we love Granny, too!





# 2 – Superstar Goofy (1972)(aka The Goofy Sports Story, 1956)
“A cartoon? Is she daft?” you might be thinking.  This Disney animated is truly a classic.  I cannot keep myself from laughing hysterically over the antics of my favorite (other than Mickey, of course) Disney character.   Watching Goofy perform the ‘correct’ way to Olympic sports and other games is downright the best!




#1 – The Natural (1984)
I’ve written on this film a couple of other times in my blog, so it is no wonder how and why this film makes the top of my favorite sports films.  Every acting performance is tender and poignant (how can you not love Red and Pop whistling tunes to guess the title?) I love this story of ‘what might have been,’ but satisfies the yearnings of ‘what actually can be.’  With a heart-wrenching score by Randy Newman, The Natural is a classic film to be forever adored. "The best that ever was."

No comments:

Post a Comment