Thursday, September 20, 2012

Shear Delight - A Collection of Dance Clips


I happen to be a fan of the television competition show, So You Think You Can Dance. The season ended this week with its winner finale episode, and knowing that this was coming, I thought I would save this week’s blog in honor of dance on film.

Any regular reader will know that movie musicals are near & dear to my heart, so creating a true “Top 10 List” almost feels impossible.  To paraphrase a long-popular bumper sticker, “So many dance sequences, so little time.”  Rather than attempting to make a “written in stone” countdown list for this category (or get slammed for not mentioning someone else’s favorite (“You dummy! How could you forget/not like [such and such]…?” – you get the idea), I thought I would select a few memorable ones or unique standouts that I enjoy.  Perhaps these are already on your lists, too; and perhaps if they are new ones for you, and you might find yourself adding a few more discs to your Netflix© queue.

None of these clips contain stand-ins, as Jennifer Beals (Flashdance, 1983) needed – these are just honest to goodness hoofers (or in some cases, quick-taught).  I have also purposely not included any clips of Gene Kelly, as he was the focus of my August 23rd blog, nor have I included my favorite Fred Astaire clip from Holiday Inn (1942), the featured clip of June 29th.  There are some movies that are so filled with non-stop dance amazement, that I have just not included a clip - as with West Side Story (1961) or A Chorus Line (1985); there are no clips of the ‘slow and easy’ style (as in “Our Love is Here to Stay” from An American in Paris (1951). I would have started this list off with “The Barn Dance” from (Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, 1954), but it was not available to share. Another clip that was not available was “Everything’s Up to Date in Kansas City” (Oklahoma!, 1955) Gene Nelson can often be forgotten as one of Hollywood’s best.  This number showcases his talent and the likes of so many other under-contract dancers from the era.  I’ve always loved it.  It makes me happy.  Who says cowboys can’t dance? So with all things considered, here’s to those who can actually move their feet and entertain us at the same time. 

“Step in Time” (Mary Poppins, 1964)

I always find myself tapping my feet and smiling from ear to ear!  What a delightful number from a favorite Walt Disney live production! This clip is a bit long, but I ‘dare you’ not to watch it in its entirety…


“The Alley Dance” (My Sister Eileen, 1955)

This film was fairly new to me, but this sequence choreographed and starring Bob Fosse shows his otherworldly talent. His co-star here (Tommy Rall) is not as strong, but he pulls his weight alongside an American master.


“Take Me to Broadway” (Small Town Girl, 1953)

I first saw this clip as it was featured in That’s Entertainment Part II (1976)(as seen here).  I had always enjoyed Bobby Van and his wife, Elaine Joyce, on the TV game show Tattletales, but when I saw this clip, my appreciation for him went up exponentially.  His untimely death in 1980 at the age of 51 left us wanting more from an absolutely delightful human being. And, I guarantee the tune will bounce around in your head just like Bobby!


“The Red Blues” (Silk Stockings, 1957)

Well, my dad always had a thing for Cyd Charisse – do you blame him? Wow! She was a knockout in every role she was given.  Even as Comrade Ninotchka Yoschenko in Silk Stockings (yes, a musical remake of Ninotchka, 1939) she puts sex appeal into a turtleneck, long skirt, and black hosiery. Va-va-va-voom!



“The Best Things Happen While You’re Dancing” (White Christmas, 1954)

I couldn’t find a clip of “Choreography,” (my favorite number in this feature), but I do love this one.  Every year when we watch it, I cannot get the song or the syncopated rhythms of the boat sequence out of my head!  White Christmas was to be a re-uniting of Bing Crosby with Fred Astaire (Holiday Inn, 1944), and I am so glad it didn’t pan out.  Danny Kaye does this film so much justice.  He is a perfect foil for Bing and dance partner for Vera Ellen!


“The Dance” (White Nights, 1985)

Another Cold War pic makes this list, but one of a darker nature.  Mikhail Baryshnikov is a defector whose plane happens to emergency land behind the Iron Curtain.  As he tries to makes his way back to a free society, he lives with an American (Gregory Hines) and his Russian wife (Isabella Rossellini) who decide to (re)defect along with him.  I love this clip as two completely different backgrounds of dance come together in this routine of grace and strength all wrapped up together.




“(And now) A Tap Dance” (Chicago, 2002)

Once I mulled over why I did not like the stage production of Chicago (where it originated), I finally realized that a big part of that was this scene.  “A Tap Dance” is so brilliantly formulated that I can only fawn over it again and again.  Mixing the struggles of the tap (by the character) with his ‘tap dancing’ in court with the judge, jury, and prosecution team, it epitomizes what every attorney (whether we like them or not) must do in order to win the case.  It is exhilarating and exhausting all at the same time.  Which, I’m sure for a dyed-in-the-wool attorney, is much the same feeling. (With apologies, this clip has an attached commercial...)



“Begin the Beguine” (Broadway Melody of 1940, 1940)

Well, maybe I did put these in a countdown order. The first time I saw this number, was in That’s Entertainment! (1975) If you’ve read my blogs at all, this movie set the tone for the rest of my movie-loving life; and when I saw this number, I almost felt empty, because I wanted more.  With effortless feet, Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell literally glide across the floor of this MGM set.  The film is enjoyable, but just renting or watching it strictly for this dance number is worth it.  Direction for this number is also outstanding, as the use of full-length mirrors around, as well and the highest glossed reflective floor underneath these two dancers says it all.  It is truly spellbinding.



And as usual, please feel free to add your favorites in the comments (or comments about these clips!)  I may find myself adding to my Netflix© queue, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment