Thursday, September 13, 2012

"...and I say to myself, "What a Wonderful World!"



It’s a fairly well known fact (if you know me at all) that I love Disney.  But if I had to put myself in a ‘box,’ I would have to go in the “Disneyland” category.  I am a traditionalist (pre-Eisner days), but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy anything that has come along since.  But along with my Park affection, I love the films of the early days - Walt’s animated cartoons and those from Walt Disney Studios.  I do appreciate the talents of the Pixar team and contemporary Disney Imagineers©, as well.  But I wanted to include one entry in my blog this year on the subject, so this week is dedicated to memories of the “wonderful world of live-action Disney.”

My first live Disney film (that I am aware of) in a movie theatre (a drive-in, no less) was The Gnome Mobile.  I was fascinated by the thought that these two children were privy to the little people in the forest and how much fun it would be to be able to fly in that car.  A re-release of Mary Poppins in 1973 gave opportunity for my mom and me to see it on the big screen. I am so glad I had that opportunity.  I love the story of how ‘Uncle Walt’ was finally able to purchase the rights from P.L. Travers and turn these dark stories of hers into a delightful story of what really matters most in life.  Over twenty-plus years later, a local public showing in our small town gave my (then young) children and me the chance to see Walt Disney’s Song of the South. This film expresses the lessons of character and friendship, loyalty and trust through stories and songs far better than films today. It still brings joy to my heart and tears to my eyes.



I did not see many Disney films in the theatre, as many were ‘before my time’ or ability to sit and watch a movie in the theatre; many first were seen by me during the television program, Walt Disney’s The Wonderful World of Color.  This is where I first saw Mr. Disney himself, like so many other children who watch this charismatic man talk about his amusement park and future projects.  I wanted to be part of that so very much.  But here is where I saw films such as The Three Lives of Thomasina (Karen Dotrice still tears my heart out!), Pollyanna, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes (I still have a huge crush on Kurt Russell), The Parent Trap, The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin, and the Toby Tyler stories.

School times allowed my classmates and me to see the Walt Disney’s True-Life Adventure films.  Yes, these actually were educational films, but we didn’t care. We were learning Disney-style. (And when I became a teacher myself, I knew that my students, too, would be ever so receptive to learning in the same way.  Disney magic works!)

Believe it or not, ‘back in the day,’ during parent-teacher conferences, my school would show movies in the multi-purpose room for the kids, while their parents were in conference.  These were days off from school, and since I live just around the block, I would walk over to the campus and watch whatever was on those fascinating huge film rolls.  One case in particular, was the feature film Walt Disney presents Third Man on the Mountain.  The mountains of Switzerland looked so massive on that screen! Although my children would put this movie in the ‘snore’ category, I believe there are still some great nail-biter sequences in this film that stars the late James MacArthur (with whom I also had a crush!)  
Other films such as The Love Bug, Blackbeard’s Ghost, The Apple Dumpling Gang, and Bedknobs and Broomsticks fill my childhood memories of fun, laughter, and happy times with unmistakable Disneyness.  There was ‘a look’ about a Disney film. The way it was filmed or directed, the sound and of course the musical orchestrations gave these films a ‘birthmark’ of sorts that said nothing less than “I am Disney.”  And I loved it; and I still love that feeling.  Even today, when I see a film begin with the Buena-Vista or Walt Disney Pictures leader, I get a feeling that I’m ‘home again.’  Memories of so many wonderful films and moments come flooding back to me.  It is no wonder that the genius of Walt Disney and the matchless talents of countless artisans and technicians that have brought these stories to the screen for our enjoyment charm millions of people.  Whether it’s stories from history like The Great Locomotive Chase or Johnny Tremain, or stories of fantasy like Summer Magic and Babes in Toyland, any one of these films can bring the darkest of days some moments of happiness. They are part of the wonderful world that created by Walt Disney, and I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment