Thursday, September 27, 2012

"I'll Take 'Potpourri' for $1000, Alex!"

Last May I brought the first round of hodgepodge, and this week brings the "double round"! - twice as many movie trivia & drivel as my last variety post!

The Catagories are: "Play Me," "Tea for One," "Moon River, " "Super Secret," "Always a Bridesmaid," "Room with a View," "There She Goes," and "When I Grow Up."

First Up:

"Play Me"
I have always enjoys most of Tom Hanks' acting work.  Even back to his "who's that?" days on Bosom Buddies, he has been a favorite.  And as I've mentioned in an earlier blog post, I even knew his dear Aunt Hilda.  But I have to say, I was a bit disappointed to hear he would be playing Walt Disney in the bio pic, Saving Mr. Banks.  This will tell the story of how Walt acquired the rights to P.L. Travers, Mary Poppins.  Now I know special effects and make-up artists these days are a huge part of the industry, but it's going to take some major vocal coaching and stylizing to get me to believe he is portraying one of the greatest creative minds of the 20th Century.  I know, I know...perhaps Edward Norton or even Jean Dujardin, Academy Award winner for The Artist.  Hollywood looks for the big bucks, but I think story-wise, they're locked-in with a money maker, so why not select someone who allows us to be part of the dream?


"Tea for One"
This past week I watched The Bitter Tea of General Yen.  I had received a (wanted) book for my birthday titled, Barbara Stanwyck: The Miracle Woman, and right out of the gate, they mention this film.  I still had my TCM Movie Guide for the month of September and curiously took a look to see if it was listed in the playlist.  Sure enough, it was there and had not yet run.  I set the TiVo and was able to watch at my leisure.  This interesting 88-minute film directed by Frank Capra in 1933 was produced before his "caper days," and I learned that it was not well received.  The heroine falls in love with the ruthless general and vice-versa, and is culturally not acceptable at the time.  Nils Asther, a Swedish silent film actor, portrays General Yen, and both he and Barbara create deep characters in the well-thought screenplay.

"Moon River"
Wanting to say 'thank you' to Andy Williams for a lifetime of memories. Granted, he is most remembered for his television show, Christmas variety specials, and recording career, but he is the voice of many film themes.  What would "Dear Heart," "The Shadow of Your Smile," or the "Theme from Love Story" sound like without Andy?  Andy was in a small handful of films (usually singing uncredited with his brothers), but did have a role in the film I'd Rather Be Rich; a film I have not seen, and since it is not on dvd currently, I will continue to check the TCM for a possible future listing.  I'm so glad Andy recorded Henry Mancini's "Moon River." Where would Breakfast at Tiffany's or Fletch be, for that matter, without it?

"Super Secret"
Have you read about this?  Why I would never have had to write my "Rules of the Rude" blog back in January if these stealthy creatures were about!  Check this out:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/prince-charles-cinema-introduces-ninjas-silence-370090

"Always a Bridesmaid"
Back in 1978, on a trip to Universal Studios, my dad was selected out of an early waiting audience at the "Airport '77" simulation show to be part of the show.  With his Cliff Robertson good looks, he was an obvious choice.  I was left in the audience only to watch my dad be 'the star.'  It was back in the day before most common households could afford a videotape machine, and since we did not have one, we didn't even think of purchasing the $20.00 tape after the show.  I know I begged and begged, but alas, we have no record of that performance, except in photos.


My dad is in the center scene, standing with clipboard

"Room with a View"
One of my favorite accomplishments was designing the den of our home. I fondly call it 'the entertainment room,' only because the walls were strategically designed with wall to wall entertainment memorabilia and ephemera. Once in a great while I might change out a movie soundtrack record album or a size match poster, but for the most part, favorite items are on display 24/7/365 and I am surrounded by cinematic inspiration.








"There She Goes"
 I have been asked if I am a movie critic (which I'll get to in category #8), but alas, I just tell those who are curious, I "just love movies"!



"When I Grow Up"
I had several careers in my life, the last being a middle school educator.  But if I had to do it all over again, I know where I'd go looking.  I went to a high school where I received a well-rounded education.  I am proud of the teachers I had and what I accomplished during those four years.  But the one place we lacked was in counseling.  It would have been nice if our counselors were there NOT just to make sure we completed all the necessary requirements to receive our diplomas, but to see what truly interested in life - to provide us some roadmaps to discover avenues to look toward.  Here are careers in the movie industry that I would have loved, that would have loved me, and that I could be proud to have been a part:
Film Critic
Continuity Editor
Film Historian with an emphasis on the Musical
Set Dresser
Costume Research and Acquisitions
Casting Director

And with the mention of Casting Director, that takes me back to Category #1, and the circle is complete!


No comments:

Post a Comment