Friday, February 3, 2012

Second Bananas


You know that light bulb that turns on over your head when you finally make a connection?  That’s how it was for me with George Sanders.  The first time I unknowingly ever ‘experienced’ George Sanders acting talent wasn’t visually, it was audibly, as a voice over in “Walt Disney’s Jungle Book.” He was cast as ‘Shere Khan,’ the Bengal tiger who would love nothing more than to eat Mowgli for a snack.  And that was it – just a voice.  No other connection but that memorable voice.  It had to be.  Because it wasn’t until years later, beginning to watch what are now considered ‘classics,’ did I see this man on screen and say, “Who IS that? Boy, his voice is really familiar?”  And then it happens – “Oh my gosh! That’s the voice of ‘Shere Khan’!”  Instantly, I am a new fan.  His every moment on screen now becomes devoured by me – a reversal of roles, shall we say!

The more films I watched with George Sanders, the more I wondered, “Why is this guy always the ‘second banana’?” With his British charm and refined tones, George was more often than not the gentlemanly scoundrel, always looking for a way to undermine our heroine or hero, or the devious highbrow with alternative motives.  And with every turn, he commanded our attention and stole the scene (even if it was with Peter Sellers!) 

George Sanders was born to British parents in 1906 in the Russian Empire (St. Petersburg). He was married to Zsa Zsa Gabor (wife #2), and later married to her older sister, Magda (wife #4). Sadly, he predicted his death and died by his own hand at the age of 65 in 1972.  Although many of my favorites have personal lives that are “less than stellar,” their on-screen hours show us what acting talent is all about and how they can never be replaced once their star burns out.  So, here but a few memorable moments to honor George Sanders, one of my favorite “second bananas.”

“Rebecca” (1940, “Jack Favell”) Oh, the scoundrel! Jack lurches in and out the windows, sweet talks his way into every scene, and I find him more alluring than Laurence Olivier could ever be!

“I Can Get It For You Wholesale” (1951, “J.F.Noble”) Once again, George plays a character who romances the beautiful and self-made lead (played by Susan Hayward).  Does he truly love her or her amazing head for business & talent for fashion?

“Call Me Madam” (1953, “General Cosmo Constatine”) In this instance, the general is pursued by the heroine, wonderfully played by Ethel Merman.  Originally a stage production (which I would love to grab that role), “Call Me Madam” is roughly based on real-life events.  I have yet to uncover the truth on whether or not George does his own singing in the film.  But whether he does or not has no effect on the role. I believe it is George’s voice.





   “A Shot in the Dark” (1964, “Benjamin Ballon”) Okay, how many people can really stand-up to one of my favorites, Peter Sellers?  (“Being There” is in my “Top 50” list, which over time I will divulge here.)  “A Shot in the Dark” is one of my favorite films, also, but it couldn’t be done without the ‘yin and yang’ of Sellers and Sanders.  Here he does play the aloof aristocrat completely abhorred by Inspector Clouseau’s antics, and rightly so – he has much to conceal.



I will look back on more ‘second bananas’ as the year goes on – feel free to share your favorite ‘second banana’ moments here in the comments.



3 comments:

  1. I did the same thing with Sanders when I watched "All About Eve", a film that, if you haven't seen, which I assume since it's not listed, netted Sanders his only Oscar nomination, which he won deservedly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HAVE seen "Eve," but not in a long while. I did, however, happen to list my favorites. I should probably put (this) "Eve" (not "The Lady Eve," which I enjoy) back on my 'need to watch again" list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For George's sake, I thought I'd better set the record straight. In the early 1940s, George Sanders was a popular leading man, playing The Falcon/Gay Lawrence in sixteen films. He also played The Saint in five films.

    Trivia: The third film in the Falcon series, The Falcon Takes Over, is the first film version of Raymond Chandler's Farewell My Lovely with the Falcon filling in for Philip Marlow. Chandler was one of the film's writers. You won't find these on Netflix, but most are available from Amazon:

    http://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Mystery-Movie-Collection-Falcons/dp/B005XB8SWI/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1328823190&sr=1-1

    http://www.amazon.com/Sanders-Collection-Strikes-Trouble-Springs/dp/B0058K88K6/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_b

    ReplyDelete