Thursday, February 9, 2012

Prepare Ye the Way


I have not traveled much in my life (compared to many of my ‘jet set’ friends & acquaintances), but I have had some wonderful opportunities to see places I otherwise would not.  Take for instance, my youngest son’s 8th grade graduation trip to the East Coast (Williamsburg, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and New York City).  We did everything to raise the money to get not only him a ticket, but for me to go as a chaperone, as well.  Once that happened, it was anything but hard work – I was on, for me, the trip of a lifetime! (Little did I know that I would also get to accompany my husband on a business trip to Cardiff, Wales & London, England – but that’s another related blog.)

What does this have to do with the love of movies you ask? Well, as in last week’s blog, it’s about those ‘light bulb gasping’ moments that you realize where you’re standing and what you’re looking at. In this case, New York City, is one, big movie set.  Granted, on this trip we did not hit many location sites (as this was a trip with a plan & set agenda for middle school students, not for movie lovers).  But for me, it was anything and everything I wanted to make it.

Most of the trip was directed to the students and their eighth grade history studies (and as a retired 8th grade history teach myself), that worked well, but on the last day of the trip, we took a shallow walk into Central Park.  And there it was.  The Bethesda Fountain.  In all her beauty and splendor.  It was all I could do to not run down the stairs, take off my shoes, and plunge myself into the waters! Huh? 




Not only I am I a movie aficionado, but I also have stage blood in my veins.  I was taking drama classes in summer school as a kid and continue to be active in directing and acting during my adult years. Part of this resume, is the stage production of “Godspell,” of which I have been cast 3 times in my ‘career.’  The first time I was cast, (1980) I knew it originally was a stage production, but was more familiar with the 1973 film (containing one new musical number, dodging two stages number (but in a different form on film), and a re-ordering of the script).   This movie was entirely filmed on location in New York City.  The not-yet-completed Twin Towers are also part of this production (“All For the Best”).  So seeing the Bethesda Fountain “live and in person” was such a treat for me! I felt child-like in my jubilation over seeing her right in front of me." (The photos above taken by Denise Coate-Harvey, June 2005)


Granted, I know that one event can not top all the places I am sure my readers have seen, but it’s that moment of connection; this is what movies do – we experience them and feel connected.  When it’s right in front of you, it’s as if you’re part of what happened, and the film becomes part of your film collective consciousness.

How do I wrap this up?  I want to advertise one of my favorite coffee table books. Scenes From the City – Filmmaking in New York (1966-2006).   I received this book as a gift a few years ago, and it is a fabulous pictorial account of films shot in New York City.  If you can find a copy, you may want to grab it.  I know the next time I get an opportunity to visit the Big Apple, I will include some of my favorite locales into my trip for sure. It’s just like “in the movies”!


If you have a favorite “I’ve been there” spot in New York City, write them in the comments below.  I will be writing on other places I ‘ve seen in future blogs.  

Until then - 

No comments:

Post a Comment