Friday, February 17, 2012

In Flight with Patricia Barry


For someone under the age of 65, the name Patricia Barry may not be familiar.  My apologies, if this is not the case! Patricia, born in 1921 in Davenport, Iowa, was a very prolific actress in the 1940’s, Patricia has an uncredited role in “Humoresque” (1946) (one of my more favorite Joan Crawford films), and then began a full television career in the 1950’s well into the ‘’90’s – everything from dramatic roles in “The Twilight Zone,” “The Rifleman,” “Playhouse 90,”to situation comedies such as “My Three Sons, “Bachelor Father,” and “The Flying Nun.”  She also carried roles on television serials “Days of Our Lives,” “All My Children,” and “The Guiding Light.” As a third-generation soap opera devotee, I was born into watching “The Guiding Light,” and from 1984-1987, she portrayed the conniving southern-belle, “Sally ‘Miss Sally’ Gleason.” This was how I knew and recognized Patricia Barry. 

With Robert Culp 
This is where my story begins.  In June of 1985, I had my first child, Glenn, and now as a stay-at-home mother, I enjoyed baby’s naptime with the guilty pleasure indulgence of an afternoon soap.  “Miss Sally” was mixed-up with the Shayne and Lewis families.  Blackmailing, bribing, and extortion…well, you get the picture. And she played it well.  We ‘loved to hate’ Miss Sally and this ‘more money than God’ character she played; and when you’re a stay-at-home mom in the ‘80’s, you get rather caught up in those characters.  You know that’s not who they are, but – that’s who they are!

In October of 1985, we had moved from Southern California to Reno, Nevada.  We still had connections in Orange County and made many journeys to and from the area.   On this particular instance, I was making an airline flight to Orange County and taking along my 5-month old and all the trimmings that accompany a journey that include an infant.  We of course made it from Reno to San Francisco without much trouble.  But after the first leg of the trip and a lengthy layover, you can imagine how tiring this was not only for a baby, but from mommy, as well.  When the time came to board, it was nice that I was able to qualify in that “parents with infants and young children” category – I jumped at the chance, hurried to board, took my seat, and began to get my baby quiet and hopefully, sleeping for the hour plus conclusion to my destination.  As we got settled, the rest of the travelers began to board.  I tried to look happy and smile, so the people as they passed by me would not frown at the sight of an unhappy baby, but maybe be understanding in my plight.  As I watch people enter the cabin, you can imagine my heart jump and skip a beat at the sight of whom I think is one of my staple favorite soap opera stars – Patricia Barry!  She looked just like everyone else, but that “Miss Sally” class and charm was ever-present.  I was going to be on a flight with a celebrity.  No wait!  Make that I was going to be sitting NEXT TO a celebrity.  This lovely woman walks up to my row and gracefully takes the center seat next to me.  I am rubbing elbows with “Miss Sally” and I have an irritable baby in my arms.  I didn’t say anything but, “Hello,” and she to me, and did my best of 30 minutes to get my son to be “on his best behavior,” (as if a 5-month old know what that is!).  But I did manage to get him settled and eventually sleep.

Patricia Barry (c. 1985)
At this point, I became very brave and asked, “Are you “Miss Sally” on “The Guiding Light”?"  “Why, yes, I am, Dear,’ she responded, and the conversation was of how I had watched it ever since I could remember, how I loved the show still, and that I was thrilled to get to meet her.  I don’t remember all the words said, but I do remember what a lovely and kind woman she was.  I knew she was a “real person” just like anyone else, but she held the “movie star/celebrity” image to its highest standard.  She didn’t complain or ask to move seats – she sat next to me and understood my frustrations as a new mother. 

I don’t believe anyone else on the flight recognized Patricia during or even after the flight, and I felt as though I had a ‘private audience’ with her that day.  Before we landed and disembarked, she autographed the ticket envelope and wished me the best.  I don’t recall who picked us up from the airport on that trip, but I know I felt the load of motherhood was a little lighter after that. 

"To: Denise - A patient & loving mother - Love to you! Patricia Barry "Miss Sallly" Guiding Light"
Patricia Barry’s autograph hangs framed in our entertainment den alongside other celebrity signatures.  But none have a story to tell like this one.  She has a special place in my heart.  Thank you, “Miss Sally,” for our ‘afternoon in the air.’

No comments:

Post a Comment