Thursday, May 31, 2012

"I'll Take 'Potpourri' for $500, Alex!"


George Montgomery? Richard Carlson?  Yeah, as kid, me neither - except that George Montgomery sold Pledge® furniture polish and Richard Carlson sold some stop-smoking product on a local Los Angeles TV channel (KTTV).  Then as I got older, I learned that Mr. Montgomery had really been an actor prior to woodworking, and Mr. Carlson was also an actor of substance. After all, ‘Mrs. Richard (Mona) Carlson was a model in the Don Loper Salon fashion show episode #117 of “I Love Lucy” (‘The Fashion Show’).   Light bulb Moment.

I DO remember Joan Crawford on “Secret Storm” when she filled in for her daughter, Christina, and Joan Bennett was just the “old lady” on “Dark Shadows.” Just recently I watched The Woman in the Window and now I believe she is one of the most beautiful women to ever have graced the movies with her beauty!

I wonder how many of our future generations will realize who their ‘has beens’ once were?

*****

Last week, I referred to Amadeus as the “Father of the Biopic.”  Then I thought I should give runner-up mention to Thirty-Two Shorts Films About Glenn Gould (1993), the “Son of the Biopic.”  Thirty-Two is an ingenious look at the mind of the title subject with brilliant use of classical musical played by Glenn Gould himself.  Take 98-minutes and sit and watch – I guarantee you will be mesmerized.

*****

We went to a movie over Memorial Day weekend – “Movie Pests” part 3 (see past blogs).  She was one of those people who does not know how to whisper. I could block out most of it, but sadly, just as the turning point occurred, she decided to share with her fellow moviegoers the secret to the character’s flaw.  Thank you, lady – from the bottom of our hearts – no, truly.

*****
If anyone of my readers remembers the product Richard Carlson advertised, drop me a line – thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment