Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Act of 'Breathing In"


 In the latest issue of a periodical I receive, the media department published an article on the “Top 20 [Inspirational] Movies [in the past 20 years]. So, I was inspired to create my own list in similar gesture.

Here is my “Top 20 Inspirational /Films of Faith” - Several of these films are already the focus of the Christian faith and biblical principles, yet some are mainline films that explore themes of determination, the compelling drive of the human spirit, and selflessness.  Rather than providing plot synopses or giving anything away, I have used a quote from each film that encompasses each film's inspiration.  So many of these films have more than one quote that could do this. I will also mention that not all of these films are “family-oriented films,” nor are all films that contain appropriate life values. Please use discretion when deciding on any film to view for you or for others. These films always bring me to tears, to realize my own weaknesses, my strengths, and how love in a hurting world can change everything. I hope to read in the comments about other films that you find inspiring in your life.


Children of Heaven

#20 – Children of Heaven (1997)
         “You can wear my shoes.”

#19 – Saint Ralph (2004)
        “If we're not chasing after miracles, what's the
          point, huh?”

#18 – Evan Almighty (2004)
          “Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives   
          them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed
          for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be
          courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps
          them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each
          other?”

#17 – Fiddler on the Roof (1971)
         “The world is changing, Papa.”
The Shawshank Redemption


#16 – The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
          Get busy living, or get busy dying.”


#15 – The Passion of the Christ (2004)
          “I am the good shepherd. I lay down my life for My sheep. No one takes my life
            from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down and
            the power to take it up again. This command is from my Father.”

#14 – The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010)
          “You wished yourself away. And with it, much more. … You doubt your value.
           Don't run from who you are.”
Babette's Feast


#13 – Babette’s Feast (1987)
          “Throughout the world sounds one long cry from
            the heart of the artist: Give me the chance to do
            my very best.”



#12 – The Natural (1984) See my blog “A Knight in Shining Jersey” (May 10, 2012)

#11 – Godspell: A Musical Based on the Gospel According to St. Matthew (1971)
          “Then the man they called Judas Iscariot went to the chief priests and said, ‘What
          will you give me to betray him to you?’ They paid him thirty pieces of silver, and
           from that moment he began to look out for an opportunity to betray him.”

#10 – The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (2008)
         I do not think I am ready.” “It is for that very reason, that I know you are.”

Chocolat

#09 – Chocolat (2000)
            “Let me try to put this into perspective for you.
             The first Comte de Reynaud expelled all the
             radical Huguenots in this village. You and your
             truffles present a far lesser challenge.”


#08 – The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
            “Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth day, at dawn look to the east.”

#07 – Bruce Almighty (2003)
            “There were so many. I just gave them all what they wanted.”
            “Yeah. But since when does anyone have a clue about what they want?”
            “How do you make so many people love you without affecting free will?”
            “Welcome to my world, son. If you come up with an answer to that one, let me
               know.”

The Mission

#06 –The Mission (1986)
            “For me there is no redemption, no penance great
             enough.”
            “There is. But do you dare to try it?”


#05 – Schindler’s List (1993)
            “There will be generations because of what you did.”
            “I didn’t do enough!”



#04 – Les Misérables (1998)
            “I've tried to live my life without breaking a
             single rule... “



#03 – The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (2005)
            “Do not cite the Deep Magic to me Witch. I was there when it was written.”

#02 – The Return of the King (2003)
            “Now come the days of the King! May they be blessed.”

Ben-Hur

#01 – Ben-Hur (1959)
            “Almost at the moment He died, I heard Him
              say, "Father, forgive them, for
             they know not what they do."
            “Even then. “
            “Even then. And I felt His voice take the sword
              out of my hand.”

1 comment:

  1. "There are two things in life I know for certain. One is that there is a God and, two, I am not Him." The film "Rudy"

    ReplyDelete