Saturday, January 14, 2012

You Must Remember This...

Well, another week has passed, & I made it to the keyboard to blog once again.  Thank you for the kind messages and comments; I appreciate your encouragement.  After last week’s blog, I feel I have big shoes to fill, even though they’re my own.

The first person that began the “I remember where I was when I heard…” was President John F. Kennedy.  Perhaps even before then were our ancestors recalling a particular date or time in their own memories, but as the world began to get smaller, the tragedy of Kennedy would mark this expression.

Strange segue to today’s topic, I know, but as I sat in two theatres this week, (the Tower Theatre, Sacramento for “The Artist” and “Sierra Cinema, Grass Valley for “The Adventures of Tin Tin”), I began to recollect all the wonderful places I have seen movies.  Perhaps not  “wonderful” in architecture, design or décor, but the sentimentality they derive that makes them “wonderful.”

The first movie I remember seeing was “The Sound of Music.” My uncle took the entire family to see this film at the Tustin Theatre.  Sadly, it has been a dinner theatre for more than 25 years now.  I remember how small I felt in the seat, trying to hold it down by my own weight (not a problem today!), and how large the screen looked.  That is all I remember. 

I do, however, have better memories of "Walt Disney's The Jungle Book."  Sitting in the back seat in my pajamas at the Orange Drive-In, getting to see Mowgli & Baloo dance up a storm, and of course, be frightened by Kaa the Snake, (although now that I know it was Sterling Holloway, how could I ever be afraid?)

The Foxx Mann Theatre is Costa Mesa is where I fell in love with not just the movies in general, but the classic era of the musical.  This is where my mother took her mother, aunt, and me to see “That’s Entertainment!”  I sat there thinking, “Where have these films been all my life?” and thus began a new love lust for Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Ann Miller, Eleanor Powell, and the list goes on and on and on and…
I also saw “Rocky” (with a dear friend) on one of the screens at that theatre, and yes, people really did stand up, cheer and applaud! 

A favorite theatre during my teen years was the Cinedome, Orange.  Which was torn down over ten years ago.  On a return visit to Orange County, I had to catch my breath when I saw nothing but a weed-infested parking lot.    


During this theatre’s heyday is where we would stand in line for (what seemed like) hours to see the latest new release. One of my favorite memories was taking my dad to see “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” and sitting near the back at the top of the dome and hearing those first scouter ships come from ‘behind’ us and over our heads - not to mention the immense power of the mother ship as she delivered her famous communication melody! 

Dozens of films at the Cinedome are logged by me, but of course, I have to mention “The Empire Strikes Back” as a memorable picture there, for it was the first movie date I had with my now husband of almost 29 years. Seeing a “Star Wars” picture is a pretty good one to have for a ‘first date’ memory!

Now the Edward’s Newport Beach, that was a like walking into pure luxury!  The chandeliers that hung from that expansive ceiling were divine. I saw my first “R” picture there (with much guilt), but it was also there I saw “Amadeus.”  I was expecting my first son, and of course, we made sure with those huge crowds for me to get an aisle seat (for obvious reasons) – it was a feat, but we did it!

I keep extensive records of the movies I have seen, (yes, I save ticket stubs), the places I saw them, those I saw them with, and a little about the film to help me remember the film.  I also include my own “1-10” rating scale.  It is a soothing memory to go through this list  - to recall what was going on in my life at the time.  To see landmarks not only in my own in life, but also in the lives of my children, and a recollection of friends who enjoyed films with me.  This list in itself is a journal of serenity and calm.  I hope this will inspire you as well to write a journal of your movie memories.

Fade Out…

No comments:

Post a Comment