Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sweet on You

Wow!  Feeling good to get this blog published on schedule today! And, I’ll make this one short and “sweet.”

When I attend the movies, it is like an imperative to have a bucket of popcorn. I watch some folks come in empty-handed and stay that way (not smuggling in outside snacks, which I ABHOR, by the way!). I honestly don’t know how they do it.  Perhaps it is just great self-control, or they have just been to dinner and had a wonderfully, satisfying meal.  But for me, many times at the movies, my snack IS the meal.

I have two sons and a daughter-in-law that work in the movie theatre industry.  I know theatres do not make their revenue on the movies themselves, per se, but mainly on snacks.  That could be an additional addendum to this week’s blog by one of the kids, but today’s thoughts are all about those wonderful, delightful snack counter treats that enhance the salty – the sweet.

My favorites are mostly candies.  I never could quite understand consuming pizza or burgers, nachos or hot dogs at the movies.  Maybe at the drive-ins (for those of us ancient enough to recollect those wacky landmarks from our childhood) a hot meal from the food counter would work for me, but aside from popcorn, I’m strictly a candy kid!

 My favorite candies were Bottle Caps© and Flicks©.  My mother would buy these for me at the Cinedome (blog Jan 14, 2012) when we would attend the movies while my older sister was at camp. “The Apple Dumpling Gang,” & “Walt Disney’s Robin Hood” never were better without these in my lap. 


   It was fun to find these candies again as a chaperone on a field trip with my youngest son in Old Town Sacramento many years ago.  1201 Front Street, Sacramento is where the candy of yesteryear dies and goes….”Candy Heaven.”  There I found not only a barrel of Flicks©, but Bottle Caps© and so many others.  What a find!  I bought several rolls of Flicks©, and saved them to






eat while watching movies at home.  Yes, the movie really IS better!  That delightful droplet of chocolate in the mouth is worth every pick from the tube, and just as with Bottle Caps©, those crazy discs that hit the sour spot in the back of the jaw make for a sad face when the package is empty.




I feel this way now when the bottom of the Reese’s Pieces (my new favorite movie candy) box is empty.  But now I know how to ration my treats for the 2-hour escape into darkness and fantasy, so they last much longer, and I am no longer disappointed when they’re gone.  There’s still more popcorn in the bucket!





No comments:

Post a Comment