Friday, August 31, 2012

I Smell Birthday Cake!





Since I am celebrating another birthday today, I thought I would share with you the film celebrities that also get another candle on their cakes today as well!

Arthur Godfrey, b.1903, d.1983
Arthur Godfrey promo shot for The Glass Bottom Boat, 1966)

Most people don’t remember Arthur Godfrey (unless you were my grandmother’s era), but Arthur made his mark in the recording industry and television. But since he did star in The Glass Bottom Boat with Rod Taylor and Doris Day, he makes the list.

ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê

Chris Tucker, b.1972 
(the Big 4-0)
Rush Hour (1998) with Jackie Chan
 I’m not really a fan, but I did enjoy Rush Hour.

 ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê



Warren Berlinger, b.1937

Just in case you can't place Warren - here's a photo from his heyday.

This one’s for Mom.  For those who know me personally, I shared my birthday with my mother until I was 23. So Warren also makes the list, as he is the age my mother would have been this year. Warren had a full television career, as well as roles in films such as The Wackiest Ship in the Army, The Shaggy D.A., The Cannonball Run, and That Thing You Do!


ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê

Buddy Hackett, b.1924, d.2002

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963) with Michey Rooney
 Buddy also had a lengthy and successful career, dabbling in many entertainment media.  He had roles in The Music Man, Muscle Beach Party, Walt Disney’s The Love Bug, as well as Walt Disney’s The Little Mermaid. He also co-stars in one of my all-time favorite films, It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World being paired with Mickey Rooney (and Jim Backus) in some of the funniest moments in this slapstick romp for buried treasure. 

 ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê



James Coburn, b.1928, d.2002

One of the classiest actors we had on this planet 
 James also had a successful and multi-facted career.  He was such a believable chameleon.  He could be a cowboy, a soldier, or a spy.  Derek Flint is one of my favorite film characters (In Like Flint and Our Man Flint), but he rivals himself as Britt in The Magnificent Seven and Sedgwick in The Great Escape.  His unmistakable naturally deep voice was his hallmark calling card, which he used so delightfully just a year before his death, as Mr. Waternoose, the C.E.O. of Monsters, Inc.  I admit I still have a crush whenever I see him on a screen.


ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê

Last but definitely not least -

Richard Gere, b.1948

Not just another pretty face!

I put Richard in the “certainly aged well” category with a handful of others that have earned the title, and when I watch his older films, it is often like watching another person.  He has had his turn with film failures, but he weathers the storm of box-office poison and comes back to make us appreciate him again and again.  An Officer and a Gentleman, Internal Affairs, Final Analysis, Shall We Dance, First Knight (which makes my ‘best kisses’ list), and Chicago (‘A Tap Dance’ makes my best dance sequences list – to be revealed in a few weeks) are not only films I like seeing his ‘pretty face,' but I really do enjoy these movies themselves.

 So, here’s to my celebrity birthday pals!  I am glad to share my day with all of you!  Thank you for the gift of movies! And just to tell you guys, I don’t need to return any of your presents - They all fit perfectly!

No comments:

Post a Comment