Thursday, March 29, 2012

Only the Second "L" is Silent


I do not pretend to be an expert of any kind regarding the early films of the American cinema.  I can say, however, that even though I do not know enough to have a working knowledge to pull from, I can laugh hysterically and appreciate the genius work of these early pioneers.  I love Laurel & Hardy, and I just received in today’s mail a collection of their films (thank you, Amazon.com)* that includes my two favorites, “Another Fine Mess” (1930) and “The Music Box” (1932), which used to drive my kids nuts! (I don’t know, maybe they still do.)  Another favorite film way-paver is Buster Keaton in my personal favorites “Sherlock, Jr.” (1924) and “The General” (1926).

Harold Lloyd as 'Harold Hall' in "Movie Crazy"
My lack of knowledge is just lack of exposure to too many of the early greats. Mostly because I was so busy watching a John Wayne, Gene Kelly, or Marx Brothers’ film (although they do qualify in the pioneer category).  It’s never too late, and when I can catch an opportunity on Turner Classic Movies or pull out something from the dvd cabinets (yes, confession time -there’s stuff in those I haven’t watched!), I will take a gander.

I had seen many clips of Harold Lloyd in film documentaries, but never settled in to watch an entire film.  But, just a couple of weeks ago, I enjoyed my first and one of his last films, “Movie Crazy,” which premiered in September 1932 and was his most popular talkie. All I can say is “I loved it!”  Why? Well, the title was intriguing, of course.  And, as I read the synopsis, I thought I must watch.  Harold Hall wants nothing more than to be in the movies  (an instant connection right there), and after getting his photograph mixed-up with another’s in his studio letter, he is called to Hollywood.  Unfortunately, his ‘poor sap’ nature (which is always misconstrued as a troublesome sort, although he is a genuinely naïve good-egg) puts him at odds with studio heads.  He also gets involved with an actress and her south-of-the-border movie character, and is unaware she is one in the same.
 
The antics with a magician’s coat are laugh out loud worthy; I found myself loving this poor bloke, feeling sorry for this adorable underdog, and cheering him through every amazing sight-gag Lloyd had concocted for Harold Hall during this 80-minute fun fest!

The bottom line – check out a movie or actor you know nothing of – especially one that you may have heard a lot about, but never have had the chance of experiencing one of their films.  I hope you, as I did with Harold Lloyd, find a new friend - my Netflix© queue is now loaded with surprises to come in the future!

2 comments:

  1. I heart The Music Box. In one word: genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,
    Great post!
    Your Uncle and I are L&H (Laurel and Hardy) fanatics...whenever either of us are down, or have had a rough day or a tiff~We put on a L&H movie and we are happy no matter what!...and lickety split, too! We often will quote their many marvelous lines in public under normal circumstances to the confusion of many! Even true affectionado's miss the ambiance of their genius! Not sure if you knew, but, I was a member of the Son's of the Desert tent in Orange County and went once a month...met Lois Laurel Hawes who would often attend the meetings, and David and I went to one of the conventions and talked with Lois and met Henry Brandon, who played Chief Scar in the Searchers years later, but, had in 1934 landed the villain role in Laurel and Hardy's Babes in Toyland. Ironically, he was 22 in 1934, but, was in make-up to look old. When we met him, he was the actual age...looking back the make-up was pretty acurate! We have photos of Cactus Dale Brown, (a dear friend of ours, who worked at Knott's Berry Farm in the gold panning area; and at Calico Ghost Town (now has a billboard of Cactus Dale just before you get to CGT on the highway!) Henry Brandon and myself at the convention. Oh and Marvin Hatley was still alive and playing the old ivories!

    I love Chumps at Oxford, Twice Two, The Music Box (a classic!), Brats, A Perfect Day, Blotto, Laughing Gravy, Oliver the Eighth, County Hospital, Scram, Sons of the Desert, Them Thar Hills and the only sequel Tit for Tat, Way Out West... and actually, almost all of the movies and shorts they made! (Except the last few when it was just too sad, due to their age and being swindled, they tried to do the old gigs and it was as I say, just to sad to watch!).

    So, if you have any related questions, that can't be found on IMDB or the rest of the Internet, we have several thick hardbound books on L&H!

    We also like a lot of the old silents and the early talkies. And, yes, I'm also a fan of Charlie Chaplin, especially in "The Kid" with Jackie Coogan (Yes, Uncle Fester fame).

    And the list goes on!

    I find it interesting that your Mom, nor your Uncle and finding out that you and your sister were not, either, allowed to watch movies or television, you have the passion, but, your Uncle has select passion...he's hard pressed to sit long enough to finish a movie, unless it grabs him and keeps tight hold the duration!

    I on the other hand, have hope with most movies that no matter how they begin they will get better...some are obvious "no go there" for me, but, for the most part they do build and get better! As for L&H, we have found that they often times had a hard time ending their work...oh, and a bit of trivia: Stan Laurel was the genius, Oliver Hardy golfed!

    So glad to share this with you...we'll have to pursue it more!

    And...remember: You can lead a horse to water, but, a pencil must be lead! Stan Laurel! :)
    Love & Hugs,
    Aunt Nannette

    ReplyDelete